“I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!” As this year’s scorching summer season is upon us, there is no better way to cool down and relax in the late afternoon or evening than with a cold, tasty, sweet treat perfect for the whole family. Unfortunately, with food allergies on the rise, so many of us moms are hesitant to buy sugary snacks from the store leaving our little ones missing out on some of the sweetest memories of summer…sitting on the pool deck or the porch, popsicle in hand, savoring the flavor of an icy treat, trying not to let it melt so you didn’t miss a lick!
Luckily, there is an alternative to those red, white, and blue firecracker ice pops of the past and with gourmet popsicles and paleo recipes on the rise, making your own dessert has never been easier. With the ability to make these refreshing foods in your own kitchen, you can select only the finest real or whole food ingredients making this traditionally unhealthy dessert a perfectly acceptable and guilt-free sweet treat.
6 Reasons to Make Your Own Ice Cream
Paleo-Friendly recipes for those eating clean.
- Making the choice to live a happier, healthier lifestyle through clean eating is not a punishment nor should it be such a challenge. With the ability to still enjoy treats and sweets, one is much more likely to stick to and benefit from a paleo style diet for a true lifestyle change.
Dairy-free, nut-free, preservative-free recipes for those kids (or parents) with food sensitivities, allergies, or autoimmune conditions.
- It can be difficult and upsetting trying to find foods that accommodate adults, and especially children, who have food allergies or sensitivities. Don’t make your loved one miss out on dessert or cool summer snacks, rather find a combination just right for their palate to keep on hand.
- Additionally, homemade popsicles and ice cream are free of all the additives such as xantham gum and carrageenan that so many pre-packaged foods contain.
Ability to use organic or all-natural ingredients.
- Even if full-fat dairy and cane sugar suit your digestive system, organic and all-natural products are always better yet difficult to come by in store-bought foods. With the ability to select your individual ingredients/products you can turn a delicious dessert into a healthier one as well.
Fun for the whole family (including the kids).
- There is nothing better than a summertime, fun family activity that has a sweet and satisfying ending! Let the kids measure, pour, and mix the ingredients for your tasty treat including them in this “cooking”/science lesson and stirring up excitement for the final product. Kids just love eating foods they have made themselves so their own homemade (healthier) ice cream will be much loved.
Choose your flavor and try new combinations.
- One of the best parts to making your own ice cream is the ability to make exactly what you want! Try new combinations you’ve never thought of before or that your closest grocery store simply doesn’t sell. When you make your own at-home treats the sky is the limit on the flavor and texture combos you can create.
Simple, efficient, and cost-effective.
- For less than $30 you can pick-up an inexpensive and long-lasting ice cream maker from you favorite store or online shipping company this summer. These electric, small-kitchen appliances are easy to store and super simple to use allowing you the freedom to whip up a batch of homemade ice cream whenever you are craving a sweet treat. Much more cost-effective than taking the family out to the local ice cream shop after dinner, between the ingredients and the ice cream maker you will have everything on hand for at least a few batches of this tasty treat.
- Popsicle molds are easy to find and cost only a few dollars either online or in stores. You can also use ice cube trays and wooden popsicle sticks to make small pops perfect for little hands.
- Treat baby to a cold “dessert” as well by freezing any of the fruit-filled recipes in ice cube trays and serving to your little one in a handheld fresh food feeder.
Homemade Ice Cream and Popsicle Recipes
Enjoy every one of these fleeting summer moments with your babies! All mamas know their little ones grow up and out way too fast so make sure to spend those summer days (and nights) making memories that will last well into the future. Toss your worries aside, forget counting calories, make bedtime a bit later, stop stressing about tomorrow’s schedule and savor the flavor of a sweet and tasty treat that is sure to score smiles all around.